After multiple disappointing postponements due to the pandemic, on Wednesday, April 26, 2022, the Camp…
The holiday season is a busy time of year for charitable organizations to solicit support.
As long as there are individuals in need or causes to support, there will be charities that are worthy of that support.
But before you decide to help a charity, you should take the time to research the charity and understand its mission and objectives.
The New York State Office of the Attorney General Charities Bureau has listed 10 tips to help guide someone who is considering charitable giving:
- Confirm That the Charity is Registered With the Attorney General’s Office
- Know Where Your Money Will Go
- Don’t Be Pressured by Telemarketers
- Ask for Written Materials
- Be Wary of Deceptive Tactics and Emotional Appeals
- Check With Your Local Law Enforcement Groups
- Never Give Cash
- Watch Out for Fake Invoices
- Don’t Disclose Personal Information
- You Have the Right to Say “No”
The bottom line – supporting charitable endeavors can be incredibly beneficial, provided the donations are used in the appropriate way.